Cogito, Ergo Sum. I Think Therefore I Am
(Descartes, Discourse on the Method, 1637)
Perhaps one of the most oft-quoted lines concerning #sentience and #consciousness.
It’s worth considering a related concept, that of #identity.
Now imagine one or a combination of the following:
1) You lose your job tomorrow.
2) If you require certain qualifications to do the work you’ve been trained to do – you lose that too (e.g. a lawyer being disbarred).
3) If you’re married – you’re divorced.
4) If you have kids, they move out and no longer need you.
5) Your bonds of kinship feel fractured.
….I could go on but I think you get the idea….
Who are you really?
My thoughts are that you’re still you, and life goes on. Examine the whys but not the ifs. Change. This includes your clothes. Summon all your courage and perseverance and move forward.
The empty will eat you unless you do something about it.
Image subject to the author’s copyright.